Friday, 22 November 2013

Friday Thing: Broadcaster - A Million Hours

This week's Thing sees us staying in NYC with 3-piece rock band Broadcaster.

I tend to trust my gut on these Things. If I'm not feeling a candidate song after about 20 seconds of verse then chances are I'm not going to get excited enough to feature it. I mean, growers exist (and are arguably more rewarding) but the majority of pop/rock music I like, I liked within 20 seconds. I'm a sucker. 

This idea hit home for me when I heard Broadcaster for the first time. They have a sound that I simply just really like. They passed the 20 second rule, then kept getting better.


Sounding a lot like early Goo Goo Dolls (best Goo Goo Dolls, see Superstar Car Wash for conclusive proof), A Million Hours doesn't let itself include a single mediocre song. If I had to choose, I'd say Show Me Something New is my favourite. You know one of those songs you wish you'd wrote? That.

Give it 20 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment