Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Review: Auburn Hills - Deep Ends

Formed in 2010, Auburn Hills are a four-piece pop punk band from Rexburg, Idaho. The following EP, Deep Ends, was released in January this year.



Kicking off with Something New. I can tell within a few seconds that I'm going to enjoy hearing these guys. I'm a sucker for bittersweet lyrics combined with just-plain-sweet melodies (I wouldn't fully trust someone who isn't) and Auburn Hills have these in abundance. The songs are thoughtfully well written and glazed with memorable choruses, especially in String which I found creeping into my head often during the past week.

As much as I like the songs, I'm pining for bigger production throughout the EP. There's something to be said for a lo-fi sound, but I can't help feeling that these particular songs would really benefit from a more polished sound. It all sounds a bit too much like a demo (a really good demo). Granted, studio time is expensive, and I'm glad these songs exist in any state, but I'd love to hear a cleaner, more produced Auburn Hills in the future. The songs are worth it.

Deep Ends can be downloaded for however-much-you-like on bandcamp. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review! It's nice to see a music reviewer who is constructive and willing to give kind words.

    ReplyDelete